Monday, March 11, 2013

Roomies

I haven't posted in 2 months?!  Crazy.  And weird to think that not that much has changed.  The girls continue to grow - Addy is doing amazingly well in preschool and Reese is going to walk any day now.  She also has 5 (!) teeth and is growing much faster than I'd really like.

But on to the topic for today's blog.

We're getting a roommate.  As in, someone is going to come live in our house for approximately 6 months.  She's actually going to live in our basement which was her choice; she could have had the guest room.

I suppose I should back up.

So... my aunt is like, borderline certifiably crazy and an alcoholic and her 7 (!) kids want pretty much nothing to do with her.  She has a 19-year old daughter who used to live with her until she lost her house and then the daughter, M, went to Florida to live with her dad & 2 younger sisters but didn't like it and missed MN so she came back.  BUT, since her mom lost her house and is currently dating (and engaged to and living with) MY DAD she ended up staying on her older sister's couch.  That was all about 8 months ago.

Are you still with me?

The older sister (and couch owner) is pregnant and due in early Sept. and I think both of those girls were stressing about what would happen when the baby came and there was someone living on the couch.  So I made the comment that M should come stay with us for like 2 weeks after the baby came to let the family adjust to having a baby around and have their couch back.

M e-mailed me and asked if there was any way she could come stay with us sooner, and for longer and C & I talked about it and decided it would probably be ok and we invited M over for dinner to chat about it.

We had a big talk about "boundaries" (I don't want to call them rules) that basically boiled down to, "We're not going to tell you what you can and can't do because you're 19 but you need to be respectful of the fact that we have 2 small children and always be conscious of what they might see or hear."  Which means, you can have friends over but they have to be gone by 10 and you can't be too loud.  And you can have your boyfriend over and you 2 can do what 19-year olds do, but there are kids around so be mindful of that.

I think we're all on the same page and she seems excited about it and everyone keeps telling us how nice it is of us to do and what a good thing we're doing.  But honestly, I think it's really sad that she can't depend on her mom for anything and I think you should always be able to fall back on your parents if you're at the end of your rope, you know?

And to answer all these questions I'm sure are in your head, Yes, my dad is going to marry my mom's sister.  No, I'm not exactly happy about it.  I'm not sure if I'm going to the wedding.  Yes, it is weird.

2 comments:

  1. Funny story time. My mom/her oldest sister looked very alike when they were teenagers. So much so that my uncle ended up dating my aunt, when he thought he was dating my mom. He saw my mom on a crosstown bus everyday, but never had the guts to talk to her. On an offchance, he met my aunt. Asked her out, thinking the whole time he had met my mom. When he picked up my aunt, saw my mom at the house he realized his mistake.... lol! He still married my aunt. After 25 years of marriage she went bat shit crazy and they divorced. Mid life crisis. He started dating someone 35 and my aunt wasn't having that, moved back in. It's like they know no other way than to be together. I'm still torn as to whether or not "activities" still happen.

    ReplyDelete