Friday, April 19, 2013

The End

As we close in on Reese's first birthday, we also close in on another event.  The end of breastfeeding.

I'm extremely proud that I've been able to nurse both my girls to basically one year, and have never had to use formula.  Not that formula is bad, but I truly think it's one of the best things I could possibly do for them.

The funny thing is, I don't remember weaning Addy.  I don't remember how it went, but it seemed to go very smoothly.  I know I stopped pumping at work and continued to nurse morning and night and we just eventually dropped both of those feedings as well.

Reese will be 11 months on Sunday and as of Monday I will no longer pump during the day.  I'm so ready to stick my pump in a closet and forget about it for a while.  Perhaps even give it away, or lend it to someone.  Pumping has been a struggle at times, definitely a love-hate thing.  There were days where my ounces were low and I stressed about what I was going to do and there were days that I relished in the 30 minutes of quiet time during a busy day.  There were also days that I struggled to fit it in my schedule.

In just over 3 weeks, I leave on a work trip to Italy and I am bound and determined not to take a pump with me.  To have Reese off the breast and on to bottles full time by then.  

Most of you moms know that you can't just go cold turkey or you risk ending up in quite a bit of pain and mastitis.  So, next week means no pumping, only morning and bedtime feedings.  The week after that we'll drop to only night time feedings and the week after that, switch to bottles.  Hopefully a week is enough time for each transition.

I have approximately 40 bags of milk in my freezer that we'll work our way through and then we'll be all done.

It's the end of an era, but a good end I think.  I'm proud of what I've accomplished.

1 comment: