Monday, November 26, 2012

VICTORY!!

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.  We did.  It was made even better by 2 things.

1) Reese was born on 5/21.  Since June of this year, I have been fighting with Aflac to get disability money from them on a policy that I had prior to getting pregnant.  There have been all sorts of reasons why they didn't want to pay me and I've been wading my way through their paperwork and call center trying to get this taken care of.  Mind you, Reese is 6 months old now.

The issue is that approximately 6 days prior to Reese's birth, I stopped working.  See, I was going to have a baby and wanted a few days to myself.  Since this was a contract position and I had already accepted a full time position elsewhere, I was no longer employed by K Company. 

Even though I wasted numerous breaths and hours explaining this to Aflac, they still needed an Employer statement filled out despite the fact that I did not have an employer at the time of the "incident".

I finally got someone at K Company to fill out the paperwork for me and submit it.  I got a letter from Aflac on Saturday and was sure it was telling me my claim had been denied yet again for various stupid reasons.  You can imagine how pleased I was to find a check!  Victory is mine!

*Side note: If you are planning to have a baby but are not yet pregnant, I suggest you talk to an Aflac agent.  At the very minimum, get Hospital Indemnity coverage which paid me right around $3K for my hospital stay with Reese.  It doesn't matter what your current insurance covers, they don't even ask.  You submit the hospital bill along with some claim forms (does not require an Employer statement) and they send you a check.  Your amount may vary depending on how much you pay in and you have to pay for 10 months prior to having the child but in the end we got roughly 2.5x what we paid in.

2) We re-trained Reese to sleep through the night.  I know, I know, it was like 1.5 months ago that I was talking about training her and how successful it was and now I had to re-do it all.  She started waking up once a night at like 3am and I started going and nursing her then.  I told myself that she was growing and hungry and gave in. 

Well, enough is enough and we put a stop to it over the weekend.  We've had 2 nights in a row of solid sleep and it's great.  I will probably eat my words in a few months when she's teething but for now, it's great.

So yes, I was able to claim victory over 2 things in my life and I am happy to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment