Friday, July 8, 2011

Mommy & Me

C is out of town for a wedding this weekend so it's just me and Addy for basically 3 days.  I'm excited and anxious about it all at the same time.

I love my daughter and I love spending time with her but I don't actually know how to spend 2 straight days with her.  I know some of you SAHMs are laughing at me right now but remember, there are 168 hours in a week, I'm either traveling to and from work or working for 50 of those, another 70 are spent with Addy sleeping, and I barely see her in the mornings so on average I spend about 35 hours a week with her.  Just barely 5 hours/day.

Sad, huh?

So I've been trying to think of things that she and I can do together and here's what I've come up with so far:
  • Pool/swimming
  • Library
  • Grocery shopping (it has to be done)
  •  Visit my mom
  • Take a walk to the park
  • Visit the mall
  • Make cookies
  • Go paint pottery
Here's the thing.  I'm inherently lazy.  I mean, you can't really be lazy with a 2-year-old but the temptation to put on a TV show she likes so I can surf the web or just have me time is so strong.  I come home from work and all I want to do is sit down and do nothing and she's there being her wonderful self, trying to spend time with me.  And I don't want to do it.


I don't want to chase her around the park because well, I just don't want to.  I'm so lazy that I'd rather watch her run around but not actually move myself.


I don't actually know if it's true laziness.  Either I'm seriously lazy or it's a product of the way I was raised.  My parents did their parental duty, but for the most part left us alone.  I can see the same traits in myself.  It made me SO independent but it also made me a little distant from my own daughter.


So this weekend I'm challenging myself to fight those urges to leave her to her own devices or turn on Dora and actually, really spend time with her.  Even if we're inside we can read books, color, play with playdough or her dollhouse or any of her thousands of toys.  She will only be little for so long and I need to be a part of it while I can.  All too soon she won't want me around anymore.


I'll let you know how I did on Monday.


PS.  I realize that she also needs her own time and she can't be 100% dependent on me.  My challenge is to not open the computer while she's around and actually get on the floor and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment