Monday, June 13, 2011

Bad News, Good News

We had so many applicants (22) for the babysitter job posting that I finally took it down.  Holy crap.  We picked our favorites and I e-mailed all of them back and we are meeting 3 of them in person this week.  Well, 2 for sure.  I need one more to confirm.

I need to do some searching to find out how this process should go.  We're meeting at a park to get a feel if they're stalker material or not but if we like them then what?  C & I think that if we like them then we set up a 1-hour trial where he & I go to lunch or something to see how things go.  I also need to find a list of questions I can ask them.

So that's good.  What's bad is that I finally got a reader to view the footage of our wedding from a friend but there is NO sound!  I still watched the entire ceremony in silence last night.  Gah, and I was so excited to see it!  Hopefully the other person that was filming got the sound!

We got some good news this weekend that we are "easily approved" for a mortgage of the size we discussed with the broker.  That makes me happy.  That means that we can officially start looking for a place.  If we find one we like, we can request a closing date in early August and be in our place by the end of August!  That's crazy to think about!

It seems that for every up we're having there is definitely an equal (or greater) and opposite reaction.  Us science nerds can't hide from Newton, even if it's just life and not actually gravity we're talking about.

I don't talk about it much but my mom's cancer has officially returned and she is not looking well at all.  She's lost all her hair (the doctors seemed surprised that it stayed for as long as it did) and is looking very weak and frail.  We had a BBQ yesterday with family to gather around her and it was shocking to see her in that condition.


I'm at a loss.  I don't know what to do or how to feel.  It seems impossible that C & I would be house hunting while this is going on.  Like we're not supposed to do anything normal.  How can we be moving forward when she is obviously not?


I know, I know, we can't put our lives on hold but I feel so helpless.

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel re: your mom's illness. Tarry's grandmother has been in the hospital now for about two weeks after having a stroke. We've gone the past 2 weekends to visit her and every couple days we get a call that "it looks bad" and "it could be any hour now" yet she still continues to hang on. It's hard for us to drop everything and drive 7 hours there when "it looks bad" only for her to continue to hang on for another week and then have to go back the NEXT time we get a bleak call, you know? You want to be there for them, but at some point, life does have to be lived, and you can't call off work, or house hunting, or whatever it is that you must do. It sounds callous and it feels cruel, but it's just the way it is. Doesn't make it any easier to deal with, though. I'm sorry your mom's cancer is back. I know it must be hard to see your own mother so obviously weakened and ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom was so looking forward to your wedding, and now she's looking forward to J&B's baby (any day now!) and our baby. I'm sure she'll be excited as you go through the house-hunting process. Show her pictures of the houses that you're looking at. When you get to the point of offering/ closing, show her pictures of that house. She'll get excited to see you all moved into your new house. She needs things to be excited about. The weekly BBQ's/ get-togethers is one way, but I think babies & houses are another way.

    ReplyDelete