Monday, February 7, 2011

Doing It For Me

You'll hear a lot of brides in the planning stages bemoan the Wedding Industry for "making" them do things or pressuring them in to doing or having this or that.  I, personally, think these brides are full of crap and just don't have the cajones to do the things they want to do.

The details in my wedding like the cake that I "have" to have is all my doing.  Yes, the cake is there because of tradition but the damn thing is going to look the way I want it to look and taste the way I want it to taste (hopefully).  

My biggest pet-peeve is brides blaming media and industries for forcing an image on us of brides that are fit and beautiful and forcing us into the gym to achieve that look.

Bull.

I have been hitting the gym with semi-regularity and you know why?  Not because a magazine or blog told me to.  Because I want to look the best I possibly can when standing up in front of roughly 150 people to express my love for C.  Because I want to look the best I can in the photos that will grace our house for the next 50 years.  Because I want to feel good about myself.

I suppose in a way you could call it peer pressure.  That thinking of all those people looking at me is really what's doing it but it's for me.  I want people to be amazed at how good I look.  To wonder if I really did give birth or if we stole Addy from somewhere instead.  

Is it conceited?  Yeah, it is.  I won't deny it.  But it's for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment